First…know that Jigga Man recently announced to the world he signed Jay Electronica to Roc Nation and after that, Jay Elec dropped the new song, aptly titled “The Announcement.” And then…
EbenGregory was like…and now, Jay Electronica DECODED:
Prelude — JFK (1): “Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserve the best of all mankind. And its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why some say the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon! We choose to go to the moon! We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other thing. Not because they are easy but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills.”
My view is aerial/Your crew inferior/My crew imperial/MC Killers/Milk & Serial (2)/Get it?/Forget it./You’ll still be connecting the dots with smoking holes in your fitted/Those that got it be all at the shows throwing fits its/The light from the Dynasty sign (3) froze all of the critics and nary a soul got on they frog toes to ribbit/Shhh…Twas the night before the coming/Sugar plum candy coated lines for the dummies/Decoded hieroglyphics in the shrines for the mummies/We’re not illuminati but our eye is on the money (4)/My minds on the scripture/It’s beautiful/I see every line on the picture/So when the leaves rustle and the cock crowes (5) winter/Just know that the Black Gods mingled a bit/Then the fingers got pricked (6)/Then the single got picked/Man, I’m living out my brain I don’t dream about shit/If I say dream, I meant dream; fresh not hampton (7) /I got a date with destiny I’m definitely not cancelling/Romancing/The Stone (8)/The Roc (9)/The Throne/The Elegant Celebration sends tremors through every nation/The stars aligned like cars at grand central station/Elevation/Yours truly/My duty in obligation/The newly appointed ruler who moved with no observation like W.D. (10) /Say my name on a record: W.W.III/I’ll put you niggas in a box like the WB (11)/Here’s a footnote (12) on the Blueprint (13)/Whoms fucking with We?/Yeah/Bad grammar/Widescreen panorama/Paranormal activity (14) seen on the camera/Uh Huh/So if you want that turmoil/I’ll Twitter Facebook YouTube Worldstar you/Rap Radar Nah Right 2dopeboy you/Your plans is foiled/Your guns is borrowed/We living in tomorrow/A tissue for your sorrows…
1. Sample of President John F. Kennedy’s speech from September 12, 1962 at Rice Stadium. This serves as the epigraph to Jay Elect’s song – providing the essence of what he’s trying to accomplish with signing with Hov. All the way to the moon, Alice.
2. Play on words, as in, he’s eating you other rappers like cannibalistic serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer
6. Reference to the initiation ceremony in order to join the mafia – in this case being Roc Nation
7. dream hampton: hip-hop journalist who helped Jay-Z write Decoded
8. Romancing the stone is a phrase used by jewelers that refers to a step in preparing a gem for use in jewelry.
9. Roc Nation
10. Shouts to the God Cee7, we were off on original reference. Elec was actually speaking about Wallace Fard Muhammad, the founder of the Nation of Islam.
11. Reference to the now defunct WB TV network that used to be known for having a lot of shows geared towards the African American viewer. In this case it’s a play on words saying he’ll put his opponents in a coffin.
12. Get it, forget it
13. Referring to Jay’s classic 2001 album, The Blueprint
This is EbenGregory.com…telling you to thank the good folks at XXL for the DECODING.
Nov 26, 2014This is EbenGregory.com…telling you where I’m from you’ve got to find a way to differentiate...
Nov 12, 2014This is EbenGregory.com…telling you never trust a light skin dude with dark knees. That is all.
Nov 06, 2014This is EbenGregory.com…telling you where I’m from…you are constantly invited to be what you...
Oct 23, 2014This is Ebengregory.com…telling you one of the best protections against disappointment is to have a lot...
Oct 20, 2014This is EbenGregory.com…telling you a bad hair-cut is two people’e shame. Free jewelry.
Nov 14, 2014Because sometimes although you didn’t want to go, that doesn’t mean you didn’t want to be...
Nov 01, 2014Because the height of mediocrity is still low. Click here to read The I Don’t Want Not Mediocre Awards...
Oct 20, 2014Because sometimes Mondays are mundane, like Tuesdays, minus the 24 hours. Click here to read The Tuesday Awards...